Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Look up and see what you are missing...


I was recently challenged to note something daily on my Facebook update that I am thankful for and to encourage others to think about the abundance in their lives when it is so easy to think about what is not enough.

My spiritual director sent me a link to Terry Hershey's website and I love it. Terry encourages us all to experience the sacred present, something I have to work diligently to do. This week's post includes a prayer taken from the Jewish tradition.

Days pass and the years vanish, and we walk sightless among miracles. Lord, fill our eyes with seeing and our minds with knowing. Let there be moments when your Presence, like lightning, illuminates the darkness in which we walk. Help us to see, wherever we gaze, that the bush burns, unconsumed. And we, clay touched by God, will reach out for holiness and exclaim in wonder, "How filled with awe is this place and we did not know it."

How true this is for me! How easy it is in our over-scheduled lives to feel successful when we simply get through the day. And how sad. I see so many who are crippling themselves with despair who seem to be walking through life just watching one foot go in front of the other. Doing just what they need to get by. And the next thing they know, years have gone by and all they've done is walked sightless among miracles.

The miracle of watching children grow. The miracles of deep friendships. The miracle of simply enjoying a sunrise or having one's health. November is our "official" time of giving thanks, but this is something to do everyday. Reframe your view. You may be very surprised to see the miracles happening before your eyes every day.

1 comment:

Christine said...

May you be blessed by today's miracles